For Canadian Indigenous High School Students in the GTA from Grades 9, 10, 11 and 12.
Our 2023 Application is now closed.
Applications must be received in full including all mandatory attachments in order to be considered by the Review Panel.
Successful recipients will be notified by the end of May 2023. An Awards Celebration will be held on June 14, 2023, from 4:30-6:30 PM at Miziwe Biik Employment and Training (167 Gerrard St. E.).
Checklist for Applicants:
- A completed Lee Awards application (found within the downloaded zip folder).
- A completed Client Registration form including S.I.N (found within the downloaded zip folder).
- A Letter of Reference from a Teacher or Guidance Counsellor.
- One letter of support from a member of the GTA’s Indigenous community.
- A set of transcripts from your school.
- Be of Canadian Indigenous ancestry: Status and Non-Status, Métis, or Inuit.
- Be attending a high school study program.
- Be living in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
- All applications will be assessed by a Review Panel;
- Evaluations will be based on a combination of academic merit and community involvement.
Submit your Application
Attach both documents (found within the zip folder) to the following email:
Miziwe Biik Development Corporation would like to honour the Estate of Gertrude Evans-Reizele for their generous donation towards the Lee Awards.
The Lee Awards program for Indigenous high school students was established by the children of the late Louise and Walter Lee.
Born just after 1900, both Louise and Walter taught in Ontario high schools and practiced a quiet generosity. They believed that all human beings belong to one family.
In 1989, their four children set up the Lee Awards to both honour their parents and to assist Indigenous students. Statistics show that almost 44% of Indigenous Canadians have not completed high school compared to 23% of non-Indigenous Canadians. It was the family’s hope that the recognition and financial support provided by the Lee Awards would motivate young Indigenous students to complete high school.
In 2010, the Lee family asked Miziwe Biik to assume administration of the Lee Awards Program.
Recipients of the Lee Awards are selected based on a demonstrated commitment to school and the community.