For Canadian Indigenous High School Students in the GTA from Grades 9, 10, 11 and 12
Our 2022 Application is now available to download. Submit your application by Friday, May 13, 2022.
Successful receipients will be notified by the end of May 2022. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 the Awards presentation will not take place.
- Be of Canadian Indigenous ancestry: Status and Non-Status, Métis, or Inuit.
- Be attending a high school study program.
- Be living in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
- All applications will be assessed by a Review Panel;
- Evaluations will be based on a combination of academic merit and community involvement.
- At least one (1) Letter Of Reference from a Teacher or Guidance Counsellor or one (1) Letter from a Member of the GTA Indigenous Community.
- A set of transcripts of past grades and transcripts from the first semester (September – December).
- A completed Miziwe Biik Client Registration Form (this form is included in the downloadable package).
Submit your Application
Miziwe Biik Development Coporation
167 Gerrard Street East
Toronto ON M5A 2E4
Attn: Linda Martin – Lee Awards
Attach both documents (found within the zip folder) to the following email:
Miziwe Biik Development Corporation would like to honour the Estate of Gertrude Evans-Reizele for their generous donation towards the Lee Awards.
The Lee Awards program for Indigenous high school students was established by the children of the late Louise and Walter Lee.
Born just after 1900, both Louise and Walter taught in Ontario high schools and practiced a quiet generosity. They believed that all human beings belong to one family.
In 1989, their four children set up the Lee Awards to both honour their parents and to assist Indigenous students. Statistics show that almost 44% of Indigenous Canadians have not completed high school compared to 23% of non-Indigenous Canadians. It was the family’s hope that the recognition and financial support provided by the Lee Awards would motivate young Indigenous students to complete high school.
In 2010, the Lee family asked Miziwe Biik to assume administration of the Lee Awards Program.
Recipients of the Lee Awards are selected based on a demonstrated commitment to school and the community.