What is the AHOP?
The program provides loans of up to $50,000 to qualifying Canadian Aboriginal people to assist with a down payment to purchase a home off-reserve in the GTA.
Am I eligible for a loan?
The Affordable Home Ownership Program is targeted to Aboriginal people who intend to purchase a home in the GTA as their Principal Residence. To be eligible for a Loan under the Affordable Home Ownership Program, Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- must be Aboriginal Canadians including status and non-status First Nations, Métis or Inuit;
- must be 18 years of age or older;
- must be currently renting or living with friends/family;
- must intend to live in the Property as a Principal Residence;
- the total Household Income must not exceed the Maximum Household Income. The amount changes annually, please see chart below – consult our website at www.mbdc.ca for current amount.
- must qualify for a first mortgage from a bank or trust company having a minimum term of 5 years at the 5 year Fixed Rate or 5 year variable capped rate. Please notify us if you require information in obtaining a mortgage broker;
- the purchase price of the home must be below the current Maximum House Price for the municipality in which the applicant wishes to purchase. These prices are updated quarterly and therefore, may change over the life of the Affordable Home Ownership Program. Please see chart below for current price list – consult the MBDC website at www.mbdc.ca for current price lists.
- must not own land or have an interest in any other property that is located off-reserve;
- must not intend to receive assistance under any other Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH) Programs and/or any other Ontario Homeownership Programs.
How do I apply?
All applicants are required to attend a Home Ownership Information Session hosted by MBDC. Seminars are held monthly at Miziwe Biik Development Corporation, 167 Gerrard Street East, 2nd Floor, Toronto. Please call 416.591.2310 Ext 2245 or email email@example.com to register.
Loan applications are available at the Homebuyers Seminar. Please complete the application form and gather your verification documents. These documents include proof of Aboriginal status, income verification documents and other supporting documents which apply to your situation (please see pg. 6 of the Affordable Home Ownership Program Application Form). Call 416.591.2310 Ext 2245 to book an application-intake appointment. Alternately, PDF copies of our Guidelines are available on our website (www.mbdc.ca).
This program is supported by the Province of Ontario.
Read the AHOP guidelines
- Greater Toronto Area ** — $97,800
- City of Toronto — $97,800
- Durham Region — $97,800
- Halton Region — $97,800
- Peel Region — $97,800
- York Region — $97,800
- *Based on the most recent Statistics Canada Census, indexed to 2020, rounded to the nearest hundred.
- **In areas where the 60th income percentile is greater than the provincial level, the provincial level 60th income percentile is used
- City of Toronto — $892,069
- Durham Region — $622,447
- Halton Region — $862,863
- Peel Region — $747,011
- York Region — $992,069
- *Source: Real Property Solutions House Price Index, 2019
Upcoming Homeownership Seminars
Register with us to attend by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This seminar is held in the upper floor at 167 Gerrard Street East.
Attend one of the following dates:
- April 21, 2021 at 4PM
- May 12, 2021 at 4PM
Currently seminars are being held over Zoom. If you’re interested in attending an upcoming seminar contact email@example.com.