What is the AHOP?
The program provides loans of up to $50,000 to qualifying Canadian Aboriginal people to assist with a down payment to purchase a home off-reserve in the GTA.
Am I eligible for a loan?
The Affordable Home Ownership Program is targeted to Aboriginal people who intend to purchase a home in the GTA as their Principal Residence. To be eligible for a Loan under the Affordable Home Ownership Program, Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- must be Aboriginal Canadians including status and non-status First Nations, Métis or Inuit;
- must be 18 years of age or older;
- must be currently renting
- must intend to live in the Property as a Principal Residence;
- the total Household Income must not exceed the Maximum Household Income. The amount changes annually, please see chart below – consult our website at www.mbdc.ca for current amount.
- must qualify for a first mortgage from a bank or trust company having a minimum term of 5 years at the 5 year Fixed Rate or 5 year variable capped rate. Please notify us if you require information in obtaining a mortgage broker;
- the purchase price of the home must be below the current Maximum House Price for the municipality in which the applicant wishes to purchase. These prices are updated quarterly and therefore, may change over the life of the Affordable Home Ownership Program. Please see chart below for current price list – consult the MBDC website at www.mbdc.ca for current price lists.
- must not own land or have an interest in any other property that is located off-reserve;
- must not intend to receive assistance under any other Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH) Programs and/or any other Ontario Homeownership Programs.
How do I apply?
Applicants are required to attend a virtual Home Ownership Information Session hosted by MBDC on Zoom. Virtual Information Sessions are held each month. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the session and to receive an AHOP Loan Application.
Verification documents required include proof of Aboriginal status, income verification documents and other supporting documents which apply to your situation (detailed on pg. 6 of the Affordable Home Ownership Program Application Form).
Guidelines are available on our website (www.mbdc.ca).
This program is supported by the Province of Ontario.
Read the AHOP guidelines
- Greater Toronto Area ** — $98,500
- City of Toronto — $98,500
- Durham Region — $98,500
- Halton Region — $98,500
- Peel Region — $98,500
- York Region — $98,500
- *Based on the most recent Statistics Canada Census, indexed to 2020, rounded to the nearest hundred.
- **In areas where the 60th income percentile is greater than the provincial level, the provincial level 60th income percentile is used
- City of Toronto — $1,146,457
- Durham Region — $893,027
- Halton Region — $1,206,338
- Peel Region — $1,052,529
- York Region — $1,271,012
- *Source: Real Property Solutions House Price Index
Upcoming Virtual Homeownership Seminars
Register with us to attend by contacting us at email@example.com.
Attend one of the following dates:
August 13, 2023
September 13, 2023
October 18, 2023
November 15, 2023
December 13, 2023
Seminars are being held over Zoom. If you’re interested in attending an upcoming seminar contact firstname.lastname@example.org.